Federal Volunteer Service
The Federal Volunteer Service (Bundesfreiwilligendienst) provides people of all ages with the opportunity to work for a non-profit organisation in the social, ecological or cultural sector as a volunteer, and thus to develop personally as well as professionally.
Apart from active social and cultural participation, volunteers will also have the opportunity to gain insight into a new professional field while simultaneously acquiring valuable life experience.
Federal Volunteer Service within Jugend- & Kulturprojekt e.V.
Our organisation enables volunteers, especially those interested in the cultural sector and education, to take responsibility for projects and gain practical experience by working with a multi-cultural, multi-professional team. Our organisation’s work its multi-faceted, thus allowing volunteers to apply as well as develop their existing competencies and experiences.
Jugend- & Kulturprojekt e.V.’s office is situated in Dresden’s Neustadt (“New City”), one of the most alternative quarters, which has a lively arts and culture scene.
Interested parties may apply to undertake a Federal Volunteer Service within Jugend- & Kulturprojekt e.V. and become active in the following areas:
- Educational work: taking part in the planning, organisation, implementation and follow-up of educational activities and training courses
- Culture management/project organisation: taking part in the planning, organisation, implementation and follow-up of events such as exhibitions, film festivals, readings, and intercultural encounters
- Public Relations work: updating the website and social media of Jugend- & Kulturprojekt e.V. in English and German, the creation of texts/announcements/flyers templates
- Creative design: taking part in the creation of flyers as well as cinematic and photographic project documentation
- Research activity
- Collection & delivery service
Please send your CV (including a photo) in German to email@example.com
In addition to your CV, please send a letter of motivation that answers the following questions:
- Why am I interested in volunteering in Jugend- & Kulturprojekt e.V. in particular?
- How will my current skills/competences make a valuable contribution to Jugend- & Kulturprojekt e.V.?
- What are the most important aspects of my personality?
- What ideas would I like to share with and/or put into practice at Jugend- & Kulturprojekt e.V.?
For further information, please e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prerequisites for a Federal Volunteer Service
In general, a Federal Volunteer Service lasts 12 months, but at least 6 and at the most 18 months. In exceptional cases, it may even last 24 months. Men and women of all ages may volunteer after they have finished full-time compulsory education – the volunteer’s age, gender, nationality, type of school-leaving exam are not of importance when applying.
Generally, volunteers work full-time (8 hours/day); volunteers older than 27 years may also work part-time as long as they are doing more than 20 hours/week.
What does the Federal Volunteer Service offer?
- Volunteering in the social, ecological or cultural sector, in sectors of integration or civil protection and disaster prevention, or in a sports environment
- Acquirement and development of social as well as personal competencies
- Professional (re-)orientation
- Work experience as well as references
- Becoming familiar with (responsible) social, cultural and ecological actions
- Meeting new people
- Discovering one’s own limits and possibilities
- Interaction/exchange with other volunteers
- Mediation of social and intercultural competencies
- Sense of responsibility for public welfare
- Learning about the sustainable use of natural resources and increased environmental awareness
The Federal Volunteer Service includes:
- Volunteer identification card (to receive the benefits granted such as reduced tickets and discounts)
- Educational support/Pedagogic supervision by a mentor
- Seminars and educational visits
- Allowance (depending on the organisation)
- Work clothing (if necessary)
- Social insurance (on a par with the apprenticeship)
- Fees for pension, accident, health, nursing (care) and unemployment insurance
- Qualified certificate on completion of the Federal Volunteer Service
For further information on the Federal Volunteer Service click here.