About This Project
YOU ARE THE ENGINE OF CHANGE!
Duration: 1.12.2017 – 1.11.2019
The project aims at increasing the capacity of youth work sector and encourage the participation and involvement of young people in social processes in order to become active citizens and decision-makers.
The specific goals of the project are:
- To introduce innovative methodologies in the youth work sector in 2 continents, Europe and Africa;
- To stimulate the exchange of best practices in the field of youth work across continents;
- To increase the quality of the youth organizations’ projects in the 2 continents;
- To stimulate the development of a network of the Theatre of the Oppressed multipliers in various regions of Europe and Africa;
- To develop pro-active attitudes and a sense of initiative among the partners and their members as well as among the beneficiaries of the partners (young people).
Methods used to achieve the goals of the project
The Theatre of the Oppressed is a collective rehearsal for reality. The main idea of the Theatre of the Oppressed is to make people experience and understand how any change of an attitude, behaviour or thinking pattern can have a powerful significant effect on their lives as well as the lives of people around them. Forum, Image, Invisible and Newspaper Theatre methods are highly adaptable to the needs of different communities, with a large capacity to cover all kind of different social issues: violation of Human Rights, power abuse and oppression in different ways, lack of participation and activism, discrimination, exclusion, poverty, marginalization, xenophobia and violence.
- Kick-off Meeting (Tanzania), 4-8 July 2018
- Organizing the first residential training course for developing basic competencies in image and forum theatre and facilitation in Burundi, 28 September – 7 October 2018
- Practice phase 1 in each community: each team has to prepare and implement forum theatre workshops and events for at least 200 young people in each community
- Mid-term evaluation (online)
- Second residential training course for advanced competencies in theatre of the oppressed and facilitation skills in Romania, 28 February – 10 March 2019
- Second practice phase: each team has to prepare and implement upgraded forum theatre activities or to use new theatre of the oppressed methods
- Evaluation (short and long term); It will include also an evaluation meeting in Latvia, 20-25 August 2019.
Youth Empowerment and Leadership Initiative – YELI, Burundi
Jugend- & Kulturprojekt e.V. – JKPeV, Germany
Volunteer Action for Change Kenya – VACK, Kenya
Biedrība Eurofortis – BEFO, Latvia
African Centre for Development and Research – ACDR, Nigeria
Teatro Metaphora – Portugal
A.R.T. Fusion Association – Romania
Tanzania Youth Cultural Organization – TAYCO, Tanzania
The project is co-financed by the European Commission through the Erasmus+ Programme
The European Commission’ssupport for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents, which reflect the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.